As my kitchen skills improve, and more of my recipes are turning out to be a great success, my confidence to try new cushiness is growing. I spent a little time last week researching Moroccan flavorings, and came up with this Moroccan couscous. This is an extremely flavorful dish, your tastebuds are treated to a whirlwind of flavors that each bring something to the dish. Whats even better about this meal, is that it covers all the food groups to give you a well balanced meal. This is great for runners in the heavy part of their training segment, it will help you bounce back quicker. Have you read my post on Foods to Reduce Inflammation?
The spice selection in this dish not only gives you an explosion of flavor, but provides many health benefits
- Chicken is one of the leanest forms of protein, important for muscle repair and the re-building of muscles that are broken in training
- Couscous contains only 173 calories per cup, compared to 210 in rice, while also bringing more protein to the dish. Couscous also contains selenium which is found in few products, but is important in the prevention of cardiovascular disease
- Carrots are packed with beta-carotene which is converted to Vitamin A to maintain vision and protect your skin from all that sun damage you are at risk to while being outside
- Chickpeas are high in protein and fiber, which helps with hunger control
- Tomatoes contain Vitamin K that helps your bones stay strong
- Cashews have a lower fat content than most nuts, and have monounsaturated fats to sustain your healthy heart
- The super spices
- Cinnamon helps to lower blood sugar
- Paprika promotes healthy blood vessel function (crucial for runners!)
- Cumin has antiseptic properties to help you fight off colds quicker
- Tumeric contains curcumin which fights cancer promoting free radicals
- Ginger helps to treat allergies related to respiratory problems!